Thursday, January 15, 2009

Long Live the Imagination!!

Those of you who know me, know I am not a forwarding email, sign every petition in the world kind of girl, but this one is important. It is about the safety of our childrens' toys. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, an act that would require 3rd party testing on ALL TOYS sold in the U.S. On the surface, this sounds great, but what about the toys my kids love the most? The natural, wooden toys from those small, but fabulous online retailers, the playsilks, that great knitted food? Yes, those are included. I have recieved no less than 4 emails from my favorite online toy retailers saying Feb. 9th(when this is enacted) they stop selling those toys and, for some, this means closing their doors, unless the language is changed to allow small business owners and handmade toy makers some room. This will mean many jobs will be lost and, also some great European Toymakers will no longer be selling toys on the US market.

Oh, this also includes clothes and will affect any sellers on ebay, craigslist, those who make toys for craft fairs, etc. Seriously, in an effort to make toys safe this act seems to have doomed my kids to plastic junk made in China whether I like it or not(OK, so it's not all junk...you know what I mean).
Please check out this link and sign the petition if you agree. Thanks for taking time to save my childrens' imaginations from noisy, non-imaginative things.


http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

No comments: